IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: Cherokee Gun Club - Apr 2, 2016 Results

Post by jmoore »

In all the goings on I done forgot all the brass that Robert C. brought. #-o :ymblushing: Hopefully Ron or Sherri found it. (ETA: Thanks to the Dixons! 350 rds new and once fired .44 brass is safe in the range house. #:-s )

Oh, my FP and FPAS scores are reversed. But very happy with both! :D Seems the new loads helped. Misses were no mystery as to source!

Taco hold (with the Anschutz in US) definitely needs work. Quite a few times called misses were hits and vice versa. Thanks for the assistance with that, though. RP and Melvin both were a big help as well as watching Dave C.

Windy!

Excellent lunch with added bonus of the cake tests.
Last edited by jmoore on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Jmoore, yoU did some fine shooting in tough conditions. Steady wind, punctuated by strong gusts, made standing shooting tough. Love seeing the big crowds at Ron's matches, especially a lot of new shooters.
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Who would have guessed that a cake judging event could have been attached to a Silhouette match. Ron, wear your apron next match and tell Betty Crocker she is welcome any time. Nice Job. And good shooting in windy conditions. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

Jmoore, those are excellent field pistol scores. The added kicker is they were shot with a wheel gun. Nice shooting.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Thanks, y'all!

The case full of either Reloder 7 or 4198 (no compression) certainly seems to work better. No more weird high or low hits depending on whether the powder has shifted fore or aft. (First noted with some factory .45 Colt Cowboy loads which are laughably sensitive and displayed over a 2 FOOT vertical spread on the ram line depending on powder position!)
What also seems to have changed is the lack of "right drift" that used to be the case as distances increased. Couldn't figure out why it was there before, so just happy it's not such an issue now. (As a leftie, you'd think that canting would result in left drift, as a clockwise rotation is most natural "wrongness".

Also, no more lead deposits in the forcing cone area.

The main downside is lots of unburnt powder, which cost me about a minute on the first bank of pigs whilst clearing debris from under the extractor star. Merely a training issue, hopefully, as pointing the muzzle down and double bumping the extractor rod clears the powder before complete case removal. Will also bring an emergency brush next time!
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

Richard Pickering wrote:Who would have guessed that a cake judging event could have been attached to a Silhouette match. Ron, wear your apron next match and tell Betty Crocker she is welcome any time. Nice Job. And good shooting in windy conditions. rp
Lunch at Gainesville is always one of my favorite parts of the match, Ron & Sherry ALWAYS do a great meal with something Ron shot - this month was venison burritos. But, the cake tasting as a first. Ron baked 3 identical cakes using different cake mixes and everyone voted on the best of the bunch. A great day. :ymapplause:
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

jmoore wrote:....Oh, my FP and FPAS scores are reversed....
My fault! Finally looked at the photos of the completed cards and saw that I'd swapped the two. Oofa. What a maroon. :ymblushing:

And thanks again DaveC. Watching you shoot helped with the Anschutz. Did much better using a version of your stance.